LAST YEAR IN TCS


Today I completed three years in TCS and ironically this is my last week in here.





The Best thing about TCS was that I got a chance to work in a good project though most of my friends got bench.
But for the work I did what is required is continual learning, that was the best turning point that TCS helped me.
It made me self sufficient as I understood that I can not expect much help from their side.

In the beginning of this year I moved to onsite and I was assigned a Lead role where I worked  in a multi vendor environment leading a team of 6 associates ( All non TCSers).
They do not see how they can put an employee in a better place if possible.
The assignment is absolutely on the basis of luck,
some people who were better got bad projects and some who were worse than me got better projects.
Luck factors matter a lot. You cannot change it. It's all billing algorithms for them.

They hired me to make money. They hardly spend a penny on training and for the whole year I had to pay for all my trainings and summits. It's get the work done and we get it done.

TCS was with Superiority complex, ego to show. Kick your Junior's ass to make him kick his Junior's and get the work done is the logic.
Some of the managers are arrogrant , who could be better called as a scold-er.
Most people had to be afraid of them, as they threatened to remove from US opportunity.
all had to listen and agree.

I worked with very good managers at offshore and it was a good learning.
I know it's very difficult to get a chance like that.
When I moved to onsite, the appraisal was done in an illogical manner.
My appraisal was screwed up, my promotion was not possible and waiting for two more year was too much of a time to waste.
I was not a person who would like to change jobs but My screwed up appraisal was such a nice trigger, which made me find my value.

I bid adieu very well saying bye to our customers, who were happy with my work.
What they gets with Indian workers is cheap resources, they work more than told or can be made to work more.
I am leaving TCS and one of account manager requested me to be in, not as I was good worker,
but because they did not have a enough resources in TCS who knew MDM.

The discussion was for a good long time but I was experiencing uncertainty so I decided to leave.

Life in TCS is a bit stressful at certain accounts, as they tell lies, you need to cover it up.
They always see you as if you did very less work, which is too much for a person who is starting one's career.

It does provide good chances to work in US, with very good clients, work on different kinds of stuff,
adds good experience, you need to do all work in a do or die approach and there is no balance of work and personal life.

All the decisions are made on what they can earn, hardly anything for an employee.

I would suggest the following rules(mantras) for new starters at TCS with decreasing order of priority.

            1) customer is always right
            2) Appraisal curve is always right
            3) Boss is always right
            4) Your actual work

Never forget the rule 3.

Pros

Good onsite opportunity
Job security to some extent
Diversity within the organization
good place for those who wants to boot lick and climb the ladder
In general it's good for freshers.
Is a Good Brand
Can be a Good launchpad, but not to stay for long


Cons
Salary not very attractive
Appraisal system is not transparent. Final rating depends on how much you are liked by your supervisor.
HR will listen to your concerns but will brush aside quickly.
Not a place for performers
Politics and favoritism rampant,
Poor middle level management,

Advice to Management
Learn to apply the rules made by you on yourself 1st n then on others
Be ethical and honest in communicating truth to your employees / keep an eye on your junior level management


If you are looking for a dynamic company where things move fast you aint going to get it.
As a fresher you may go there but don't expect to stick there for long and have a fruitful career.

But this, I would proudly say, without a penny of doubt, that I am what I am today and credit for that goes to TCS.




Previous
Next Post »